Share, , Google Plus, Pinterest,


Posted in:

Breakout Win For Wood At Townsville

Talbot leads the title race going into the final round

Glen Wood took out his first CAMS Australian GT round win at Townsville over the weekend. Wood driving a Lamborghini R-EX took the Race 2 victory in what was a breakout weekend for the M-Motorsport driver.

The Townsville round featured three, 40 minute races with a driver change – for the two driver teams and a compulsory pitstop in each race.

Race 1 took place under a warm winter’s day at Townsville with Liam Talbot’s Walkinshaw Porsche taking the win to further cement his title lead.

It was a last corner move by Talbot that would see him take the win. Scott Taylor in the STM Mercedes GT3, Talbot and and Wood were all in a massive battle at the end of the race, with the three racing all within one second of each other. A final corner move saw Talbot steal a thrilling win from Taylor and Wood.

The race was overshadowed by a first corner crash with Steve Richards’ BMW, Tony Bates’ Mercedes and Tony Walls’ McLaren though, that brought out the safety car and send Bates to hospital.

Walls and Richards had been fighting for a spot with Bates and three into one didn’t go, and as a result of contact, Bates was sent into the outside wall of the street track before a second sizeable impact with the inside wall.

Bates was taken to hospital was soon discharged with minor injuries.

The second race took place on Sunday morning with sunny skies.

After the drama of the first race, the drivers were well behaved for race two with Wood, Kelvin van der Linde (Audi) and Ash Walsh (Audi) all fighting for the win.

Van der Linde, racing with Geoff Emery would have to make up time after their longer pitstop time due to driver rankings, leaving the fight at the front between Walsh and Wood.

Walsh though would get a drive through penalty for a bump-and-run pass on Talbot.

This left Wood in the lead but he was able to fend off the fast charging van der Linde for his first win. Talbot finished third.

The final race of the weekend saw Max Twigg in his Mercedes take the win.

Wood led from the start but was soon passed by van der Linde and Walsh who were trying to build a gap before their compulsory pit stops.

It was a thrilling portion of the race with the two exhcanign positions almost every lap. But after the pitstops it was Twigg and Duvashen Padayachee who was partnering Ash Walsh who were fighting for the win

Padayachee was closing on Twigg in the final stages but Twigg used his years of experience to hold firm and not make a mistake.

Wood would hold on for third – meaning he took his first round win. Van der Linde and Emery would take fourth.

A solid weekend from Talbot a third, a fifth and a win see him take the series lead into the final round.

That race – the finale for the 2017 CAMS Australian GT Championship will take place at Sandown Park on 15-17 September.