Share, , Google Plus, Pinterest,


Posted in:

Adam Puts Optimum On Top In Rain-Soaked FP2

More rain at Rockingham

The rain at Rockingham had intensified since the morning’s first free-practice session, meaning challenging conditions for the field in the second session taking part just before lunch.

Early flyers saw GT3 headed by Yelmer Buurman (ERC Mercedes) and Phil Keen (Barwell Lamborghini), the pacesetters from FP1, ahead of Johnny Adam (Optimum Aston) and Rob Bell (Balfe McLaren). GT4 also saw the quick runners from FP1 pick up where they left off, with Joe Osborne keeping Tolman at the sharp end, ahead of Michael O’Brien in the #5 Tolman McLaren and Will Burns in the #50 HHC Ginetta.

A red flag was thrown after 10 minutes due to a stationary (but undamaged) car on the racing line at Pif-Paf, Mark Murfitt in the #77 Fox Motorsport Mercedes, while the #68 Steller Toyota found the gravel at Tarzan and needed to be towed out by a course vehicle. The recovery of the Fox car took some time and only a little over 30 minutes remained on the clock when the pitlane opened once again.

Marco Sorensen in the #17 TF Aston moved to the top of the timing screens with a 1:33.321 a few minutes after the restart, with Ben Barnicoat simultaneously leading the way in GT4 in the #72 Track-Club McLaren. Thiim then unseated his fellow Dane from P1 with a 1:33.179 in the #11 TF Aston, with a driver change to Derek Johnston for the #17 robbing Sorensen of a chance to respond.

Barnicoat was then demoted to third in GT4 by Will Burns’ 1:38.660 in the #50 HHC Ginetta and Scott Malvern’s effort in the #66 Team Parker Mercedes, while the top position in GT3 changed hands again courtesy of Johnny Adam’s 1:32.170 in the #75 Optimum Aston.

Shortly after Adam’s time was set, a second red flag came out with 18 minutes of the session remaining, Derek Johnston having left the track at Pif-Paf in the #17 Aston. There were under 10 minutes remaining when proceedings resumed, but there was barely time for another flying lap when the reds flew once again – this time due to the stricken #88 Team Hard Ginetta. The clock ran down without further running.

That left the order as follows: #75 Aston from #11 Aston from #17 Aston in GT3 (the latter with damage to repair), with the Minshaw/Keen Lamborghini fourth; and the #50 Ginetta from the #66 Mercedes, #72 McLaren and #62 Aston in GT4.

The #47 Jetstream Aston took no part in the session, remaining in the garage throughout, while the #68 Toyota didn’t rejoin after the first red flag.