Share, , Google Plus, Pinterest,


Posted in:

Remembering Shingo Tachi, 20 Years Later

RJ O'Connell reflects on the life of, Shingo Tachi, a Toyota star gone too soon

It’s been twenty years since one of the brightest young stars in the Autobacs Super GT Series, Shingo Tachi, was killed in a testing accident on 11 March 1999, at Okayama International Circuit.

The history of racing is littered with the tragic tales of young people who died well before they could leave a legacy in their sport. So young that their legacy is only the potential of what could have been. The unwritten chapters of lives cruelly ended before their prime. Shingo Tachi’s tale is one that is seldom told today, outside of his native Japan, and outside those who knew him and the most hardcore of racing fans.

He was a charming, handsome young man with a smile that beamed bright, beloved by his friends and fellow competitors, and a skilled, swift driver who raced fairly and could drive anything from single-seaters to touring cars to sports cars.

In 1998, Shingo Tachi was the lead author of the greatest championship season in any category of Super GT’s quarter-century of champions and legends. He set records that have never been equalled, and will likely never be surpassed, all in his rookie season. He was on track to make the step up to the highest levels of his sport and lead a new generation of top drivers. Less than a year later, he was gone, leaving his fans, his friends, and his family to grieve his loss.

But to tell the story, we must first start at the beginning.

Born in Tokyo on 1 September 1977, Shingo Tachi was almost destined to pursue a career in racing. His father was Nobuhide Tachi, a Toyota factory racing driver who was already establishing his own legacy as a driver. Nobuhide’s greatest victories came at the 1972 Japanese sports car Grand Prix, the 1975 1000km of Fuji, and in 1974 and 1975, he took back-to-back wins in the Guia Race of Macau – giving him the nickname, “The Tiger of Macau.”

Nobuhide retired from racing in 1982, but he had already laid the foundation for his greatest legacy when he and business partner Kiyoshi Oiwa founded a new racing team in 1974: Tachi Oiwa Motor Sports, known to most as TOM’s.

It wouldn’t be long before Shingo followed in his father’s footsteps into racing. He started his karting career at 12 years old in 1990. Over the next four years, he’d be a regular in the East Kanto region, driving at circuits such as New Tokyo Raceway in Chiba.

In 1993, Shingo graduated from junior high school and elected to continue his studies abroad in Britain. Leaving his family and friends from home behind, for now, Shingo Tachi began his career in auto racing at the age of 16.

Shingo spent the first two years of his single-seater career with Rowan Racing in the Formula Vauxhall Junior Championship. 1994 was, in essence, a year of learning. But Shingo made a great step forward for the 1995 season, finishing fourth in the Under-18 Championship tables, and taking his first victory in the sub-class.

After two years in Formula Vauxhall, Shingo stepped up to the prestigious British Formula 3 Championship. He was entered in one of Team Magic Racing’s Dallara F394/Toyotas, backed by TOM’s GB, the British arm of his father’s team. Shingo competed in the B-Class, the forerunner to the National Class of later years, for older cars and smaller-budget teams.

Shingo had a great season in the B-Class of British F3. He took five pole positions, and two victories, one at Donington Park, one at Pembrey Circuit. He battled New Zealander Simon Wills for the title all the way to the end of the season, losing out by just nine points in the final round at Silverstone.

Though he was still fighting a language barrier, Shingo Tachi was a well-liked figure in the paddocks across the UK. And in turn, Shingo loved racing in Britain. But his studies in Britain had come to a close, and it was time for Shingo to come back home to Japan, to further develop as a racing driver.

Shingo returned to Japan to take part in the All-Japan Formula 3 Championship and the N1 Endurance Series (known today as the Pirelli Super Taikyu Series). Tachi would race for his father’s team, TOM’s, who was arguably the top team in the series at the time.

In his first Japanese F3 season in ‘97, Shingo finished sixth in the championship and scored two podium finishes, as his second-year teammate Tom Coronel took six wins in seven races and won the series championship.

Shingo would return to TOM’s for the 1998 Japanese F3 season, as 1997 British F3 Champion, Peter Dumbreck, joined the team. Tachi made a big step forward. He scored five podium finishes in ten rounds and battled Hiroki Katoh for second in the championship all season long, ultimately finishing third. Dumbreck won a record-tying eight out of ten races and led three TOM’s 1-2 finishes ahead of Tachi.

And at the end of the year, both TOM’s drivers were invited to race at the Macau Grand Prix F3 race. Shingo’s first visit to the track that helped cement his father’s legacy as a driver. He finished both legs of the event in 13th overall, as Dumbreck went on to win the Grand Prix outright.

That same year, Shingo Tachi entered the N1 series with TOM’s Spirit, driving a Toyota Celica GT-Four which shared a similar livery to its factory rally car counterpart. Tachi and his co-driver Shingo Murao, the latter of whom would go on to enjoy success and fame in drift driving, took six class podiums in their ten starts and finished 4th in the championships in ‘97.

The highlight of Tachi and Murao’s run in N1 was in the 1997 24 Hours of Tokachi, when, joined by Shinichi Takagi and Takayuki Fujita, they won the N1-2 class with an overall finish of 11th place.

But as Shingo Tachi was going from strength to strength as a driver in Japan, he would also become confronted with the grim reality of the danger of motor racing.

Takashi Yokoyama (above, right) was another Japanese driver who ventured to Britain at the same time as Shingo, and the two of them raced together in British F3 in 1996. Yokoyama debuted in the All-Japan F3 Championship in 1997, driving for the other top team in the sport, Dome Racing.

In the penultimate round of the 1997 season at Fuji Speedway, on 19 October 1997, Shingo’s teammate Coronel, and Yokoyama’s teammate, Shigekazu Wakisaka, crashed heavily two corners into the race. Coronel was so fortunate to have survived as the right rear tyre of Wakisaka’s car struck Coronel’s helmet. This brought out a safety car, but as Yokoyama was trying to catch back up with the leaders on the front stretch, the field suddenly slowed in front of him.

Without warning, Yokoyama’s car ploughed into the back of another car, launched into the air, and smashed into pieces upon impact with the Konami Bridge. Takashi Yokoyama had no chance to survive the most horrific accident in modern Formula 3 memory. He was just 26 years old.

At the conclusion of the 1997 racing season, Shingo Tachi was given a somewhat unexpected opportunity to drive for Toyota Team TOM’s in the GT500 class of the All-Japan Grand Touring Car Championship (JGTC). The JGTC was holding its second-ever All-Star Race on 16 November at the all-new Twin Ring Motegi circuit.

TOM’s had won the GT500 titles in a thrilling championship battle, but championship-winning drivers Pedro de la Rosa and Michael Krumm were moving on from Toyota, De la Rosa to F1 with Jordan, Krumm to a new GT500 deal with Nissan. Thus, they were unavailable for the All-Star Race at Motegi.

As part of a restructured lineup for this round only, 20-year-old Shingo Tachi was paired with touring car and top formula champion Toshio Suzuki in the number 37 Castrol TOM’s Supra, which finished 3rd in the championship with Suzuki and Masanori Sekiya (who was moved to the championship-winning number 36 Castrol Supra to partner six-year Formula One veteran Ukyo Katayama).

Shingo had never driven a car with as much power as the 480 horsepower, turbo 4-cylinder Toyota Supra GT, but leaning on the experience of Toshio Suzuki, he was confident of a good result. He’d also never driven on an oval before. Yes, the race took place on Motegi’s new 1.5-mile superspeedway oval that would be used for the CART World Series race, with a few pylon chicanes installed at the end of each straightaway.

In the first of two races, they finished in third place. In the second race, they finished in second. Those combined results gave them a second-place overall finish in the event, a great first outing in the JGTC for Shingo in his very first sports car race, one that put the entire JGTC paddock on notice as the 1998 season approached.

1998 was an important year for the JGTC in its fifth full season. In the GT500 class, Honda was now starting to emerge as a legitimate threat to the established powerhouses at Toyota and Nissan. Down in GT300, privateer garages built and prepared their own lightweight cars to the original JAF-GT300 regulations.

One of those garages was Tsuchiya Engineering. A team with over twenty years of racing experience by the time they entered the JGTC in late 1996. Team owner Haruo Tsuchiya struck a deal to have Shingo drive his #25 Toyota MR2 SW20 in 1998, having been impressed with his form in Formula 3, N1, and in his one-off GT500 debut at Motegi.

Tsuchiya’s MR2, which finished 3rd in the GT300 Championship the previous year was one of the finest engineered cars in the early years of the class. Taking what was already a proven, lightweight, mid-engined sports car, and turning it into a true race-built machine. Constant enhancements to the chassis, aerodynamics, and suspension made the car responsive and nimble, and the two-litre, turbocharged 3S-GTE engine, producing 330 horsepower, was a reliable powerplant that provided more than enough power from behind the drivers’ seat.

Partnering Shingo in the #25 Tsuchiya MR2 was a family friend. Keiichi Suzuki was a veteran racer with 30 years of racing experience. He won the GT300 Championship in ‘96 and finished runner-up in ‘97 with Team Taisan Jr., who joined forces with Tsuchiya Engineering for 1998 under the unified Team Taisan Jr. with Tsuchiya Engineering banner.

Suzuki was one of Nobuhide Tachi’s first drivers when he founded TOM’s, and he was more than happy, two decades later, to repay his old boss and help his son Shingo become a champion.

But Shingo Tachi was the star driver of the team, and in 1998, he would be responsible for the most dominant championship campaign the series had ever seen, or would ever see in the years to come.

22 March 1998, Suzuka GT 300km

When Keiichi Suzuki crashed hard during the third and final practice session on Friday, it wasn’t expected that the Tsuchiya MR2 would be in contention to win the season-opening 300km race at Suzuka Circuit. Shingo Tachi qualified a respectable seventh on the grid less than 24 hours after the crash, and with virtually no time driving the car in dry conditions after rain washed out most of the practices.

Come Sunday, another Toyota MR2, the #44 Momo Corse MR2 of A’PEX Racing with pole-sitter Morio Nitta and rookie Shota Mizuno, was expected to be the favourite to win. Shingo got away slowly from seventh on the GT300 grid, but within 15 laps, he’d moved up into third place. Perhaps the result of rookie inexperience, Shingo ran off course during his opening stint, but quickly got back on course, and within another ten laps, he was second behind the Momo Corse MR2 of Nitta.

The race turned dramatically in the pits. A refuelling issue as Mizuno took over the Momo Corse MR2 forced them to go back into the pits for an unscheduled 2nd stop. Meanwhile, after 31 laps, Shingo pitted the Tsuchiya MR2 and gave the closing stint to the veteran Suzuki. Haruo Tsuchiya elected not to change tyres, giving Suzuki, driving with a heavily bruised foot after the Friday practice crash – more than enough time in hand to drive the final seventeen laps and take the Tsuchiya MR2 to the chequered flag first.

It was Shingo Tachi’s first career JGTC victory in his very first start in GT300. The perfect start to an incredible year to come.

3 May 1998, All Japan Fuji GT Race

Shingo was happy with the Tsuchiya MR2 in wet conditions at Fuji. But Tsuchiya Engineering was still expecting a tough race. The assorted Porsche 911s had a clear edge in the rain, and if it dried out, the Momo Corse MR2 would be a formidable threat to win as well.

But it was all rendered irrelevant when Tetsuya Ota and Jukuchou Sunako crashed in the driving rain and fog during the pace laps. As Ota fought for his life after the now-infamous fiery crash at Fuji, the race was cancelled, and the series would reconvene in June at Sendai Hi-Land Raceway.

28 June 1998, Hi-Land GT Championship

At Sendai, Shingo qualified on the front row, but once again, he got a slow start and dropped to third. It wouldn’t take long for him to catch back up again, though, as he was lapping 1-2 seconds quicker than the cars in front. Shingo overtook polesitter Masahiko Kondo and his Xanavi NISMO Silvia for 2nd, then chased down Fuji hero Shinichi Yamaji in his RE Amemiya Mazda RX-7.

It took him just nine laps to catch Yamaji, then swoop to the inside to take the lead and drive out to a commanding 40-second advantage by the end of his 44-lap stint. Suzuki drove the Tsuchiya MR2 home to back-to-back victories to open the 1998 season, and now Shingo, along with his mentor Suzuki, was in a commanding championship lead going into Round 4.

9 August 1998, Japan Special GT Cup (Fuji Speedway)

Conditions at Fuji were much better than on that dark weekend in May. But Shingo had to fight with a new adversary: 60 kilograms of Success Ballast for the weekend, 30 for each of the victories from the Tsuchiya MR2. Yet, despite the less powerful GT300 cars being much more sensitive to weight handicaps, the car performed as if the added weight was never there. By just 0.021 seconds, Shingo Tachi took his first career GT300 class Pole Position.

The field kept it close at the start, but eventually, Shingo began to pull away. And as any would-be challengers fell to the wayside with mechanical failures and pit stop troubles, not even an emergency pit stop with 15 laps to go to remove a damaged rear bumper was going to keep the blue Tsuchiya MR2 from making history.

Keiichi Suzuki took the car to the chequered flag, and with it, he and Shingo Tachi became the first drivers in JGTC history to win three consecutive races in either category. To this day, no other team has ever managed to replicate this feat. As he stood on the podium next to his GT300 teammate Suzuki, and his F3 teammate Peter Dumbreck, who finished 2nd in his first drive in the Momo Corse MR2, he had to feel like he was on top of the world.

With three races remaining, Shingo and Suzuki led by 35 points. But as Ralf Schumacher and Naoki Hattori demonstrated two years ago, it was possible to win half the races in a season and still lose the championship by failing to finish the other half.

13 September 1998, Motegi GT Champion Race

Two weeks after his 21st birthday, Shingo found himself back where the JGTC adventure began, at Twin Ring Motegi and this time, at the road course. The Tsuchiya MR2 was now clad in a silver livery in anticipation of winning the 1998 GT300 Championship. But now Shingo Tachi and Keiichi Suzuki were on the maximum 80 kilos of Success Ballast. Surely they couldn’t win a fourth straight race in 1998…?

They didn’t. Cusco Racing and their Subaru Impreza scored a mighty upset victory from pole position, and after a slow start and a slower pit stop put an end to any hopes of a fourth consecutive race victory, Shingo and Suzuki would settle for a sixth-place finish, their first loss of the season. But they did pick up six crucial championship points. A fourth-place finish or better at the next round in Central Park Miné Circuit would win them the title.

11 October 1998, Central Park Miné GT Race

With his fourth consecutive front-row qualifying effort of 1998, Shingo started in 2nd, alongside the new WedsSport Toyota Celica and rookie driver Max Angelelli. Racing Project Bandoh had delayed the introduction of their front-wheel-drive Celica until Round 4. The 1997 GT300 champions were now playing the role of potential championship spoilers.

This time, the Tsuchiya MR2 was down to “only” 70 kilos of success ballast. If there was one area of improvement Shingo demonstrated throughout the 1998 season, it was his starts. This time, however, he nailed the start and put the pressure on Angelelli throughout the opening laps.

As the WedsSport Celica’s tyres gave out early on, Shingo pounced. As the GT500 leaders lapped the GT300 leaders, Shingo closed right in on Angelelli, out-braked him, and drove out into the lead once again. Despite the best efforts of reigning GT300 Champion Manabu Orido to bring the WedsSport Celica within reach, the silver Tsuchiya MR2 could not be touched.

With their record-breaking fourth victory of the season, Team Taisan Jr. with Tsuchiya Engineering won the 1998 GT300 Championships before the final race of the season. Keiichi Suzuki won his second title in three seasons, and Shingo Tachi, in his first season in the All-Japan GT Championship, became the series’ youngest champion in history.

25 October 1998, Sugo GT Championship

The newly-crowned GT300 champions entered the final race of the season at Sportsland Sugo, back at the maximum 80 kilos of Success Ballast. It would have been perfectly understandable for Shingo and Suzuki to cruise through the last race meeting of the season. But instead, the young rookie and the old veteran made Sugo the venue of their best chapter of this unforgettable 1998 season.

With a new course record for the class, Shingo edged out his Formula 3 teammate and GT300 rival Dumbreck by 0.066 seconds to take his second pole position of 1998. On maximum ballast.

Shortly after the start of the 78-lap final race, Shingo had to deal with a lack of visibility as the JLOC Lamborghini Diablo sprayed the MR2’s front windshield with leaking oil. He wanted initially to come to the pits – there was no reason to risk it, after all – but Tsuchiya encouraged Shingo to stay out and fend off the challenge from Dumbreck behind him.

But in a reversal of their Formula 3 fortunes, Shingo pulled away from Dumbreck, and once the Momo Corse MR2’s gearbox failed, Shingo Tachi, driving the race of his life, drove off into the sunset. He amassed such an enormous lead that he was able to pit from the lead on Lap 54, Tsuchiya Engineering was able to refuel the car, change all four tyres, and exchange drivers to Keiichi Suzuki, who left the pits and still held the lead of the race.

It never mattered that they’d already sewn up both championships. It never mattered that they were loaded down with an average human’s weight in Success Ballast. In their finest drive yet, a true pole-to-win victory, Shingo Tachi, Keiichi Suzuki, and the #25 Tsuchiya Toyota MR2 won their fifth race of 1998 at Sportsland Sugo.

Five wins, in six races. Six wins out of seven races if you include yet another victory in the non-championship 1998 All-Star Race at TI Circuit Aida. 106 points for the season. A winning margin of 66 points from first to second place.

Shingo Tachi was the centrepiece of a truly special season in 1998. No team and driver combination has ever won more than three races in a season in the years since. No other driver combination has ever amassed over 100 points in a season. All of this is by design: Super GT, as it is known now, levels the playing field aggressively with Success Ballast, fuel-flow restrictors, GT3 Balance of Performance measures, and other ways to keep the championship fights close from the first race to the final race.

And yes, it can be conceded that GT300 didn’t have quite as high-quality a grid in 1998 as it did in 2018, now entrenched in the era of manufacturer-built GT3 cars and hybrid JAF-GT cars. But fending off future Super GT legends like Orido and Nitta, a future IMSA legend in Angelelli, and Dumbreck, who consistently had his number in F3 cars and would go on to become a well-traveled racing stalwart in his own right, Shingo had to beat out a lot of top-quality drivers and teams to become the champion.

You will certainly never see any one car and any one driver win 83 and a third of the races in a Super GT season ever again. It’s just not possible with the way the series is structured.

Tsuchiya Engineering, with an all-new driver line-up and a new partner in A’PEX Racing, won the GT300 Championship again in 1999 with the same MR2, now in a new red and gold livery for new title sponsor Momo. It is in that livery that the Tsuchiya MR2 still exists today, as a show car in a Toyota dealership in the city of Aomori. Photos of the car as it was in 1998 are fairly rare.

And Shingo Tachi was now one of the fastest rising stars in Japanese motor racing. As 1999 approached, he was set to make the inevitable step up to GT500 and Formula Nippon.

In December 1998, Shingo Tachi tested a Formula Nippon car for the first time at Suzuka Circuit. In February 1999, Taku Motor Sport (Team TMS) officially confirmed Shingo as one of their drivers for the upcoming season. They’d yet to crack through the midfield in their first two seasons, but TMS was impressed by Shingo’s potential.

At the same time that he secured his promotion from Formula 3 to Formula Nippon, Shingo secured his first full-time drive in a GT500 car for the 1999 JGTC. Toyota was set to shake up their GT500 fleet after a disappointing season in which they failed to win a race. In the 98-99 off-season, Team LeMans, winners of two of the last three Formula Nippon championships, took over INGING Motorsports entry.

Toyota Team LeMans signed 21-year-old Shingo Tachi to partner former F1 journeyman Hideki Noda in the new-look #6 Esso Ultron Supra. Anticipation was high going into 1999. New talent was emerging all throughout GT500 and Formula Nippon. Juichi Wakisaka, Ryo Michigami, Satoshi Motoyama, and Yuji Tachikawa were among the biggest names that were poised for success in the years to come.

And with his 1998 season fresh in every JGTC fan’s memory, Shingo Tachi was set to become Toyota’s ace of the future.

With two weeks to go, Tachi was set for two tests over six days at Suzuka Circuit. First came the JGTC’s public test on Thursday & Friday, 4 & 5 March. Team LeMans suffered setbacks which prevented them from getting any track time until Friday afternoon’s final test session, where the Esso Supra finished with the fifth-fastest time of the afternoon and the fastest of the Toyota teams.

After two days off, Formula Nippon held their first of two official pre-season tests on Monday & Tuesday, 8 & 9 March. Shingo was third-quickest in the Monday morning session with a time that, was still good enough for eighth-fastest overall after wet conditions prevented any improvement on Tuesday.

With less than two weeks to go until the start of the 1999 All-Japan GT Championship, Shingo Tachi’s racing dream came to a sudden, tragic end.

11 March 1999 4:45 PM.

Toyota arranged a private test on this day at TI Circuit Aida, known today as Okayama International Circuit, for a few of their GT500 teams – including Team LeMans. Shingo looked forward to the additional track time to work with his new co-driver Noda, to work with his new engineers at Team LeMans, and to make up for the time they’d missed out on at the Suzuka test.

The test was almost over, and Shingo was coming out of the final corner to start another lap. As he crossed the start/finish line, Shingo was setting up for the tricky First Corner, a fourth-gear right-hander. But as the car approached the braking markers, the car didn’t slow down.

A mechanical failure that, to this day, has never been specifically determined, caused the Esso Supra to drive straight on through the apex of the corner, off into the gravel trap, and head-on into the concrete and tyre barriers at speeds in the range of 240 to 250 kilometres per hour.

Marshalls and rescue workers were immediately on the scene. They found Shingo unconscious and took great care to extract him from the remains of his car. Medical staff placed him in a neck brace and administered oxygen. Shingo had suffered massive chest injuries upon impact, and he was quickly rushed from the circuit’s medical centre, and straight to a local hospital.

They did everything they could to save the young man’s life. But it was too late.

At 5:50 PM JST, Shingo Tachi was pronounced dead at the age of 21. One of the most well-liked young drivers in Japan, and one of its brightest future stars was gone.

The 1999 JGTC season premiere at Suzuka became a weekend to reflect upon the life of Shingo Tachi. Keiichi Suzuki so wrought with grief over the death of his former co-driver, a young man that he treated like his own son, retired from racing after Shingo died. Toyota Team LeMans elected to withdraw their car from the race, out of respect for their fallen driver.

Gradually, the healing began. At the first round of the All-Japan Formula 3 Championship at Suzuka, Seiji Ara scored his first career victory driving for TOM’s, driving with the same crew that Shingo drove for the year before.

Toyota Team LeMans and the Esso Supra returned to the circuit. 500cc MotoGP World Champion and JGTC veteran Wayne Gardner took Shingo’s place alongside Hideki Noda. They took pole position at the third round at Sportsland Sugo, and in the fifth round at Fuji Speedway, Toyota Team LeMans won their first-ever JGTC race and dedicated the victory to Shingo.

At the 1999 24 Hours of Le Mans, Toyota driver Ukyo Katayama was given Shingo’s racing gloves, and co-drivers Toshio Suzuki and Keiichi Tsuchiya wished to win the race to honour Shingo. With one hour to go, and Katayama leading the race, the left-rear tyre exploded in the run from Mulsanne to Indianapolis at nearly 340 kilometres per hour. That blowout cost them an overall win at Le Mans, which would elude Toyota until 2018.

But looking back on it, Katayama could have had a tragic accident that day at Le Mans. Only his incredible reactions and reflexes kept him from a far worse outcome. And, if one is to believe in divine intervention and the idea of a guardian angel watching over Katayama and the Toyota crew, they would point towards Shingo’s gloves as a sign of it. And even Katayama believed that Shingo had protected him that time.

Nobuhide Tachi, Shingo’s father, grieved quietly and has rarely opened up about the death of his son. Even for all the races championships that TOM’s would continue to win in GT500, Formula 3, and upon their return to Formula Nippon (now Super Formula) in 2006, Nobuhide still misses his son Shingo, and the entire team misses him to this day. Every GT500 car prepared by TOM’s has a sticker next to their drivers’ names: “With Shingo”.

To this day, Shingo Tachi is the only person to have died at the wheel of a GT500 car in a test session. As of the end of the 2018 season, there has never been a death in any session of a JGTC/Super GT race meeting.

In the twenty years since his untimely departure, many still wonder how many GT500 Championships Shingo Tachi would have won. How many Formula Nippon championships he would have won as well. Maybe, one day, Shingo could have become Japan’s top star in Formula 1 or the pillar of Toyota’s World Endurance Championship team?

Shingo Tachi will forever be linked to the 1998 GT300 Championship, the most dominant season in the history of Super GT. He’ll forever be remembered by those who knew him as one of the kindest, brightest young men to grace a racing paddock whether it was in Britain or Japan.

And hopefully, as this all too short tale of a life that was itself too short comes to a close, his legacy will continue to live on for future generations.

Shingo Tachi | 舘信吾

1 September 1977  11 March 1999

Images courtesy of: San-ei Shobo Publishing Co. / SAN’s Co. Ltd. Toyota Motor Corporation, GT Association (GTA), Mobilityland Corporation, Akira Nakamura, Hamish Jordan Photography