Firstly a brief statement from DSC.
We will not be engaging in speculation, or politicking on this matter.
Whilst aware that there are sharply differing views on public policy on this issue we’ll be dealing with facts, facts from the relevant public health authorities, and facts in terms of decisions made by any relevant national, state or regional government.
We will though share information as we receive it on any impact on the racing calendar, within our regular area of interest, and in the wider international domain, and on any ongoing discussions over those impacts, as and when we receive them.
With that in mind we outline below the major industry calendar changes thus far that have come about as a direct, or indirect, result of the COVID-19 outbreak:
Bahrain has taken the decision to hold this year’s Grand Prix from March 20-22 as a participants-only event.
The Chinese Grand Prix, originally slated for 17-19 April, has been postponed.
The MotoGP class at the Qatar Grand Prix due on 8 March was dropped (the supporting Moto2 and Moto3 classes were already in Qatar for testing).
The Thai Grand Prix was postponed until 4 October, a knock-on change was, therefore, necessary for Aragon which mover to the weekend prior.
Grand Prix of the Americas due on 3-5 April is postponed until 13-15 November (the date slated for CoTA 24H).
That has a knock-on effect on the date for Valencia which moves back to 20-22 November.
The Sanya E-Prix due to take place on 21 March was postponed, with an alternative date to be determined.
The Rome E-Prix has been postponed with an alternative date to be determined.
GT World Challenge Europe
The GT World Challenge Europe round scheduled to take place at Monza on 17-19 April has been cancelled.
That move brought into play an SRO contingency plan which sees Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya hold the fifth and final round of the Endurance Cup on 9-11 October, while Imola will be added to the calendar to stage the closing Sprint Cup event on 30 October-1 November.
The Monza cancellation also sees changes to the GT Sports Club Europe calendar which now begins at Circuit Paul Ricard on 29-30 May. The series then joins the GT World Challenge Europe support line-up at the Total 24 Hours of Spa (23-26 July), Nürburgring (4-6 September) and finally Imola.
An alternative for the Lamborghini Super Trofeo support race which was also scheduled to take place at Monza will be announced in due course.
The planned 12H Monza (27/28 March) has been postponed to 10/11 July (replacing Paul Ricard) That date has been replaced in the calendar by a race at Estoril.
The Pre-season Okayama test on 14-15 March will be held behind closed doors.
The traditional Easter race weekend at Nogaro for the FFSA GT Championship has been postponed to July.
The first round of the Ferrari Challenge Europe, due to take place at Mugello from 3-5 April, has been postponed.
The prologue test for Ferrari Challenge UK, scheduled for Donington on 17 March, has been postponed too. Instead, it will take place at Snetterton, the venue of the first round of the series, on 17 April.
24 Heures Moto
As a result of the French health minister’s ban on gatherings of more than 1,000 people, the Automobile Club de l’Ouest FIM and Eurosport Events have postponed the 24 Heures Motos, initially scheduled to be held on 18 and 19 April 2020.
ACO and Eurosport Events have already fixed the new dates, 5 and 6 September 2020, for the race which will as an exception, close the 2019-2020 FIM EWC season.
The “Pre-Mans” tests scheduled to be held on 31 March and 1 April have therefore also been cancelled.
All current tickets will be valid for the new dates (5 and 6 September). No exchange required.
All race organisers contacted by DSC are monitoring public health and government advice closely, several have been party to meetings and briefings with government agencies tasked with planning both immediate response and contingency.
LMEM today contacted the teams ahead of the ELMS and Michelin Le Mans Cup meeting at Barcelona (including the pre-season tests for both Series) confirming that there are currently no changes announced for the event with teams arriving from 29 March for testing and the race event with the public, will take place on 4-5 April.